Friday, March 4, 2011

Last night in Colombia...

Suddenly, as I'm getting familiar with everything here in Bogotá, I'm about to leave :-P. The past few weeks have been good, though.

Met up with Londra, a fellow staff member who worked with me last summer at camp.

We went to "The Kings Speech" in theaters. Spanish subtitles, of course.

Visited Juli's old elementary/middle/high school, chatted with a couple nuns, and had lunch with one of her best friend's mom who works there.

We went to a friends house to cook a mixture of things in a fondue maker and jammed out on guitar/danced all night.

Ate a fantastic lunch with Juli's aunt (who invited us over for it), chicken with rice and green beans, patacon (the banana-type chips), and freshly-squeezed maracuya juice.

Went to a park, met up with Juli's cousin Paula, and ate empanadas, and drank tea.

Later we went to a Korean vampire movie shown at an all-male preparatory school. (It was one of the most graphic movies I have ever seen, but it was open to the public and free.)

--

Juli and I found out that we are about a half a mile away from each other in Buenos Aires! We almost couldn't believe it at first, but my host family house is on the street perpendicular to her apartment. Its reassuring to know that we won't be miles and miles apart in the same city.

Tonight, I believe we are going out to dinner. Time here was a blast. I hope you have been getting a hint of what I've been experiencing here. So many things happened that I can't pick a favorite. It's just a really cool thing to immerse yourself in another culture and start to get accustomed to it.

Anyways, feelings for Buenos Aires are the following:

Excited
Anxious
Curious
Ready
Nervous
Confident

(and of course more).

I think the main thing I'm nervous about is the language barrier. Although I've been in Colombia right now for over a month, I still have a long way to go with my Spanish. And Argentine Spanish is a very different Spanish than Colombian. Its got like an Italian twist to it (many citizens were Italian immigrants), and they use a lot of slang. But I'm very excited to start hearing it more and communicating.

Just think, in a week, I'll be moved into my host family's house, starting classes and seeing and doing all new things.


As always, thanks for following me this far. And if there's anything you're wondering about my travels, don't be hesitant to ask me!



Saludos,

R.A.P.


(p.s. if u haven't noticed before, I am unable to upload my pictures on here because I've maximized my available space. Therefore, I've put them on my facebook.)

No comments:

Post a Comment